One of the complaints I get the most about fitness is that people have trouble staying consistent. They get started and do great at first but quickly lose the zest they originally started with and fall off. Here are some tips on how to keep yourself motivated even on the toughest of days.
- Set a goal!! This is huge. If you do not know where you want to go then how can you get there? I recommend writing this goal down and visualizing what it would feel like having accomplished it.
- Believe in yourself. Notice the thoughts that come up when you are writing your goal down. Do you automatically give yourself permission to fail? Notice for phrases like “I will try..” and change them to “I will accomplish.”
- Make a list of why you want to accomplish your goals. If you want to lose 30 lbs, what is the real reason? Is it to feel better? For your kids?
- Have a strategy but be prepared for it to change. Writing a “roadmap” how you are going to accomplish your goals is fantastic, but it does not need to be set in stone. If something changes, it’s ok!
- Talk to people about it. You don’t need to go running down the street yelling to everyone that you are finally working out again, but if it comes up in conversation let the people know. The more people who know, the more accountable you are towards your goals.
- Remember there will be setbacks. There will be times that we get off track when working towards our goals. Rather than feeling bad for yourself, the best thing to do is to get up the next day, shake it off, and start fresh.
- Have someone you stay accountable to. This is where working with a trainer comes in handy. Often times we need guidance and support when working on our fitness and health goals.
- Stay positive and be proud of every little change you make for the better. It all adds up!